Monday, March 1, 2010

Tragedy Strikes

Hi ladies. My energy is so drained, but I wanted to hop on for a quick post. Bob's mom had a brain anuerysm on Friday night. We were in the hospital all night and most of Saturday. She made it through surgery and is up talking a bit today but for the next 3 weeks, she's at risk for vaso spasms (stroke) and could die or suffer brain damage. She was totally healthy and this came as a total shock to us. I am physically and emotionally drained but have been trying to do anything I can to support Bob. We are a good team and have really pulled together during this tough time. If you're a praying person, her name (yes - actually her real name!) is Kay. We have been lifting her up in prayer and know that the Lord's hand is on her. I have the next two weeks off before I start a new job and so I'll be spending a lot of time in the hospital with her. I'm so glad that I'm available to go.

As far as food goes, I ate crap all weekend. In the midst of tragedy, eating within my restricted calorie allotment doesn't seem so important. It is there in the back of my mind, that I don't want to shoot all of my progress though. I haven't weighed in since Thursday and am sure it's not good - unless being incredibly stressed also burns tons of calories. I'm hoping to get back on track this week, but am not sure when I'll be at the mercy of the hospital cafeteria for my lunches. Maybe I could buy food and take lunches there. Too late for tomorrow, but maybe the next day? Ok, I need sleep very badly. Goodnight all.

9 comments:

  1. Hey hi! So sorry about all the stress you guys are having. Your mum-in-law will be fine. Keep doing all of what you're doing. God will help.

    As for the calories- don't worry at all. STRESS and all the running around as you help will see you shrinking in two weeks. Watch out.

    But do take care of yourself first. You don't want to be fainting in mum-in-law's arms instead! Will pray for Kay.

    God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so sorry to hear about Kay. Will keep her and your family in my prayers. That is so sad. Pray she recovers fully.

    Thanks for taking the time to respond regarding the Wii. I'm searching Amazon...and wow, there is so much to decide from.

    Hang in there, and do not worry about calories during this stressful time. You will be fine...I mean, unless you are carrying around packages of double stuff oreos, and washing them down with chocolate milk :-)

    *my weight is not far off from where you currently are. I'm at a standstill though and it's driving me nuts!!! I want the weather to get nicer so I can start going for walks outside. I love my treadmill, but these long winter months are a challenge...to stay on course.

    Two of my children have doctor appts. tomorrow, and have already asked me if we can go to Olive Garden or Noodles and Co. for lunch after. Of course, I said yes. It's such a treat for them, well for me too actually.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for what you're going through. I will be praying for Kay and for you and Bob as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the prayers! Sara - If you go to Olive Garden, the Venetian Apricot Chicken is only 380 calories and really tasty! That's what I always get there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the O.G. recommendation. I will try it. Of course, the kids just LOVE their breadsticks, dipped in a boat of marinara or alfredo sauce. One (or 2) breadsticks won't kill me.

    Pray that Kay is doing well...if she was talking a bit, that is a really good sign. How scary.

    My father-in-law went to the ER last Friday afternoon, over his lunch break, due to some chest discomfort. I was called and freaked out..not in front of the kids of course(I just kept happily making their grilled cheese and tomato soup), but as my mom-in-law was telling all of his symptoms, I was thinking oh my God, he is in the beginning phases of having a heart attack. She was crying on the phone, so I was strong for her and just said he was in the right place, and if he needed some cardiac intervention, it would be done immediately. He was fine, bascially just resting on the bed in the ER waiting for test results to come back. He even told her to go and grab a sandwich. A short phone call later she called me and said, "Sara, he's up in the cath lab, they whisked him right in there." I knew it.

    Get this...he had 3 blocked arteries..2 on the right and one on the left. Blocked as in..99%, 93%, and 91%. They said he dodged a bullet. Luckily, there was no left ventricle damage. No damage at all. He had 3 stents placed and went home the next day. I told him he could have dropped over at any second..walking around with 3 arteries blocked like that. He told me "thanks", I'm just saying....These stories are real, and they happen. He kept thinking it was indigestion..and was taking Tums...without relief. So common, esp for men...the heart symptoms mimic heartburn/indigestion.

    Enough on that.

    I'm still searching the Wii/Wii Fit thing. I keep thinking I don't need to spend the money..do I really need it?? My treadmill is "free" I just have to get my butt on it..which I am, but I'm getting bored of that.

    Do you have the stepper platform? There are so many accessories pieces that I'm getting confused :-) Stepper bar, stepper platform, balance ball..I need your help!

    I'm going to check craiglist today for any Wiis too....never know, may find a deal.

    Cheers!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope all is well, you deserve a break sometimes. It's ok! Eat some crap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you are available to help. I too have started a weight loss blog. And could use some support. I will be checking in on yours regularly. If you are interested, mine is
    http://doilooklikeagarbagecan.blogspot.com

    Good luck friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! Thought i'd check to see how you're doing- all okay?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read your whole blog. Good for you! Let us know how you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete