Monday, February 15, 2010

RING shopping!!!

Hi ladies! This post is NOT going to be about weight loss for once. I just have to share my Valentine's Day with you because it was pretty much one of the best days! (Some of this may seem choppy and abbreviated. I just can't fit in every detail or you won't want to read it!) So.....Bob and I went to church this morning, we came to my place for lunch and exchanged some gifts. My gift from Bob was mainly what we were doing that night (a mystery to me), but he also gave me a rose plant, a card with the best letter in it, and a really cute mug from Starbucks that I liked. I gave him this great thing that I spent hours on. It was a framed scrapbook page. On it was a picture of us, a poem I wrote for him, ribbon, cute stuff, etc. He loved it! I'm not bragging - but it looked good :)

Bob gave me this made up story about how he forgot some papers at his downtown (Chicago) office that he needed for a meeting the next day. He said we had to leave right away because our plans for the evening were in the suburbs. I thought this was fishy, but wasn't sure what was up. We got downtown and he told me that we weren't down there because he had to go to his office. He parked at Millennium Park and we were going to ice skate. He did not know that you have to wait a super long time for skates, so that part didn't quite happen. We decided to take a walk instead. We had an hour and 15 mins before our dinner reservations. It was cold, so we stopped into Walgreens and Phil bought me a fun hat and some gloves for himself.

We started walking...I thought...why aren't we going down Michigan Ave or State St? I didn't know where we were going. All of the sudden I see jewelry shop after jewelry shop. They're all dark though and everything's put away. There's this one that's open though. Bob looks at me and says "do you want to go in?" I'm trying to play it cool and am like "yeah". We cross the street and the guy is AT the door and unlocks it for us to come in. Bob makes some comment about how he's the only one open and he said that he had an appointment that he was open for but that they're usually closed on the weekends. I'm wondering if we're the appt (still not sure - Bob said we weren't. He said he just wanted to look in the windows and see what I liked, but this must have been a sign from God. I don't know that I believe him. Same guy that had to get papers from his office. He's sneaky). So we go in, and the guy asks us what we're interested in. Bob looks at me, then at him and says "well...we haven't really looked before...we're looking at engagement rings."

At this point, I don't know how I was controlling myself. He asked me what I liked, and he showed me a stone that I fell in love with. Bob said he didn't want to look at the rings themselves because he'd like me to be surprised. He asked the guy for his card and said he'd call him. I'm like "you're going to pick out a setting BLIND over the phone?? Don't you want to see what I like anyway?" So Bob says he already has an idea but that we can look at 2 - one that I pick out and one that he has in mind. They're pretty different - I'm glad he asked me! The one he picked out wasn't BAD, it just wasn't my first choice. I put the one I had eyed on my hand and fell in love with it. Bob got the idea that that's the one and he asked me if I wanted to chill outside for a bit while he talked to the jeweler. When I was outside waiting for him - I think I looked crazy. I could hardly contain myself and was even laughing a little I was so excited! He was in there for 15 mins!! I do NOT know this for a fact...but I really think that he ordered it (they custom make each one - so cool!) The reason why I think that is because we came across another that was open and we just looked in the window at them and were comparing. We found one that was slightly similar and Bob said, "Yeah, but notice how that one has the little diamonds only on the top, and yours has them all around" Did you catch that ladies? Not "that other one has them all around" - "YOURS has them all around"!!!!! Not knowing at all if I picked out something in his price range or not, I asked him on the way back if the one I loved was super expensive. He wouldn't tell me, so I asked "well, is it doable??" He said that he thought it was a fair price, and yes - doable. At this point in the story, everything else is just going to sound boring. It was quite wonderful, but I don't have the energy to explain it all. He took me to a wonderful italian dinner, we walked downtown, and we came back to my place for some tea and just gazed at each other for a while. Pretty much on cloud 9!! All of that being said - he did tell me to be excited, but not TOO excited. He explained that this doesn't mean that we're getting engaged tomorrow or anything. It's probably another 5-6 months away, but this was a big BIG step!!!!!! Ok...I'm spent from telling that story. I am just so excited and had to share it!!! Hope your Valentine's Day was great too!!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a perfect Valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Congratulations- this is cool!

    Should i let you know that you called Bob, Phil in the part where you said he bought you a fun hat and gloves for himself? heheh- don't worry though, you're still anonymous!

    I see how in love you sound here when you talk of just gazing into each others' eyes :D

    ReplyDelete